Sandwiches are excellent snacks that allow you to have a filling and healthy meal in the short term. You can have many variations, and indeed only your creativity and your sandwich-making device limit you. While you can always get a recipe online, finding the best sandwich maker may not be straightforward. There are so many options in the market, and technology keeps changing. What used to be the standard five years ago has got nothing on the modern units.
In choosing the best breakfast sandwich maker, you are looking for something that can make more than just sandwiches. Still, a variety of quick snacks can also add up to whole meals.
What Makes a Good Sandwich Maker?
As you begin your search for a sandwich maker, the question you should answer first is what defines a good sandwich maker? The answer to this is the quality of its cooking, fast cooking times, durability, and safe operation. These aspects cover the basic expectations.
An excellent sandwich toaster should heat up fast to ensure quick cooking times. It should also cook your snack evenly, ensuring the browning is even and golden, and the slices are crisp. It should also close tightly to keep all the fillings in and prevent leaks. If you are using cheese, it should be melted at the end, and the ingredients should all have the same temperature. You also want a sandwich maker that you can touch the handles without the risk of burning. It should also be easy to clean and maintain.
7 Best Sandwich Maker You Can Buy in 2021: How We Test
In choosing our best sandwich maker, we have tested several aspects to gauge the quality and safety of the sandwich makers:
- We looked at the duration it takes to make a sandwich. In this aspect, we considered how long a sandwich maker takes to heat up and how long it takes to cook the sandwiches.
- We looked at how consistent the results are by measuring the temperature of every sandwich. At the same time, we took the temperature outside of the breakfast maker to gauge whether it is safe to touch. We also looked at the color and evenness of the roasted sandwiches to gauge overall consistency in quality.
- We looked at the convenience of how easy it is to clean and maintain each unit.
1. Hamilton Beach Black Breakfast Sandwich Maker
The Hamilton Beach Sandwich Maker earns the overall best sandwich maker spot as it shines in critical aspects. It has some standout features, like allowing you to customize the layering of the sandwiches for a healthy family breakfast.
Whether you want to top up the sandwiches with cheese, meat, or eggs, the options are limitless. It also takes under 5 minutes to whip up your favorite morning snack, which is handy when pressed for time. There are plenty of conveniences too. It is an easy-to-use device, and all detachable parts are dishwasher safe. You can make all kinds of snacks with this breakfast maker, including bagels, English muffins, sandwiches, and more.
- It has a round shape
- Black in color
- Dishwasher safe
- Non-stick and durable coating design
- 7 x 7 x 8.79 inches
- Weighs 1.47 pounds
- 110 volts
- Material: plastic
- Settings: 1
- It’s easy to assemble and use
- Excellent for making small sandwiches
- It does not leave a metallic taste on the sandwiches
- Even cooking across the sandwiches
- It’s multifunctional, thus saving time
- It comes with easy and quick to cook recipes
- It does not have automatic settings
- It can get a bit messy when using cheese
2. GOTHAM STEEL Electric Sandwich Maker
The Gotham Steel electric sandwich maker is perfect for the budget shopper delivering premium quality at a bargain. Its main attraction is the highly non-stick surface courtesy of the titanium and ceramic material. This surface means you do not have to use any oil or butter while cooking, which is healthy for everyone in your home.
Making your ideal four toast pack takes under five minutes, and you do not have to worry about timing. The unit comes with an indicator light that will turn on when the snack is ready. Safety is a priority, and thanks to the cool handle, there is no risk of burning. We also liked the compact size, meaning space and portability will not be a problem.
- Dimensions: 12 x 12 x 6 inches
- Weight: 2.97 pounds
- Brand: GOTHAM STEEL
- Available in black and brown colors
- Has diagonal indentation style
- It only needs wiping by a damp cloth for cleaning
- Fast heating time
- Budget price
- Free of any toxic material
- Allows for plenty of flexibility and cooking options
- Its compact size takes up little space
- Tight lock action during cooking
- Lacks automatic shutoff function
- May not accommodate thicker bread
3. Breville Deep Fill Sandwich Maker
Most sandwich makers struggle with size but not this Breville Deep Fill Sandwich maker. It is the ideal toaster for someone who uses large bread. The sandwich maker handles bread slices of different sizes and leaves enough room for your desired filling.
The design allows the bread to brown evenly, adding extra deliciousness. Besides, the accompanying cutting and stamping function ensures you have perfect triangles. The fully sealed plate tops any filling leakage, while non-stick coating aids easy cleaning. We love the flat black back panel, which allows for good storage-saving plenty of space.
This Beville sandwich makes with two removable sandwich plates that are dishwasher safe. You also have the option of getting two removable waffle plates that are also dishwasher safe.
- Dimensions: 13.46 x 31.75 x 26.67
- Power: 850 W
- Available in silver and black color
- It has a vignette line and diagonal indentation.
- It comes with indicator lights and non-slip feet.
- Removable plates aids in easy cleaning
- Excellent non-stick coating
- Allows for a range of fillings in type and amount
- Fast heating up times
- Top-quality at competitive pricing
- It has automatic temperature settings
- It can be a bit smelly during setup
- The bread cuts may not be as the description portrays
4. Cuisinart Dual Non-stick Electric Sandwich Maker
Cuisinart has the perfect product for cheese lovers wishing to have an easy and fast snack option. The Dual Non-stick Electric Sandwich Maker has a special design and function for making cheese sandwiches. It is equally adept at making fluffy eggs.
The non-stick baking surfaces ensure smooth food release and fast cleaning. The locking lid action ensures your snack cooks evenly on all sides for delicious consistency. You do not have to worry about burning as the unit comes with a light indicator that will let you know when the food is ready.
You do not have to worry about your safety as the sandwich maker operates at a stable temperature. Storage is also a breeze, thanks to the provided cuff.
- Color silver
- Stainless steel and plastic material
- Weight: 3 pounds
- BPA free material
- Dimensions: 10.1 x 9.7 x 5.3 inches
- Power: 120 V AC
- It has a diagonal indentation surface.
- Heating temperature stability makes it excellent for home cooking
- Provides versatile cooking use
- The anti-stick bars function properly
- It can make perfect omelet’s
- It comes with a lid lock and an indicator light
- It is pretty shallow, limiting the number of ingredients you can use.
5. Proctor Silex White Sandwich Maker
If you are looking for an idea sandwich maker that you can carry around or if space is at a premium in the kitchen, this is the unit for you. Its compact size makes it excellent for camping and road trips as well as storage in small spaces. For storage, lock the handle and store the unit upright.
The Proctor Silex is also easy to use and delivers excellent results. You only need to assemble the sandwich, place it inside and lock the lid. The indicator light will let you know when the snack is ready, and you get a well-toasted sandwich with perfectly sealed edges.
There are sufficient user instructions and several recipes to help you make the most of the sandwich maker.
- Dimensions: 4.59 x 10.42 x 11 inches
- Weight: 1.4 kilograms
- Wattage: 700 watts
- Available in white color only
- Durable and non-stick coating surface
- It has an excellent size that to hold regular bread
- It is multifunctional, offering cooking options from sandwiches to omelets
- Simple to use
- Easy to clean, needing only a damp cloth
- Affordable price
- Excellent lock system does not need hard pushing
- You will need to get used to the latch functioning.
6. Chefman Non-Stick Coated Plates Sandwich Maker
This is a sandwich maker any foodie will love, thanks to the range of options it brings to the table. It is a 3-in -1 machine allowing you to press a sandwich, grill, or double grill. You can as easily create a sandwich as you can grill your meat, complete with the veggies.
The Chefman sandwich maker comes with an adjustable top hinge that can move up to a maximum of 180 degrees. This feature allows you to sandwiches of any size. It also uses advanced technology to boost safety and give the unit durability. The feet, with their tilt-up design, ensure the grease flows into the drain at the back.
Cleaning is also easy thanks to the non-stick grill plates and the drip tray, which is removable for washing.
- Power: 1000 W
- Dimensions: 13 x 10 x 4 inches
- Available in black only
- Weight: 4 pounds
- Has durable and non-stick coating design
- It is compact, making storage easy
- Multifunctional 3-in-1 design
- Makes perfect sandwiches
- Easy cleaning
- Allows you to get creative in the kitchen
- It does not have temperature control
- The length of the cord limits movement and placement
7. OSTBA LED Indicator Lights Sandwich Maker
The OSTBA sandwich maker is quite a powerful unit for its size. It heats up almost instantly, and with the double-side baking feature, it allows you to make your snack in quick times. It is also sturdy, which makes it highly durable. The compact size makes it easily portable, and storage is not stressful. You store it facing upwards, and the accompanying ridge makes it easy to wrap the cable around, preventing any harm. All these aspects make it take little space in your kitchen. The handle lock further eases carrying it around.
The fast-cooking times mean you need to be watchful, and thankfully, the built-in indicator lights will let you know when your snacks are ready. There is no risk of burning accidents as the handles are heat resistant and cool to touch even while cooking.
- Power: 750W
- Dimensions: 8.26 x 8.66 x 3.22 inches
- Plate sizes: 8.46 x 4.92 inches
- Diagonal indentation surface type
- Durable and non-stick coating design
- Plates cooking temperature: 200+/- 20 Fahrenheit
- Available in black color
- It is easy to set up and use
- You do not need to use oil on any food
- Excellent quality at a great price
- Children friendly
- Easy cleaning as you can rinse with cold water right after cooking
- It only takes a minute to heat
- It does not come with an on and off button
- The size is small for regular-sized slices of bread and heavy filling.
Benefits of Using a Sandwich Maker
Using a sandwich maker presents numerous benefits, including;
Most sandwich maker units are available at an affordable cost. It is not rare to find high-quality units for a bargain. This factor allows anyone to own them, and you could even go for two units if they offer different utilities that you want.
Food from a sandwich maker has excellent taste. What’s more, they allow you to experiment with various options, especially for the filling. This aspect enables you to make your favorite snacks just as you want them, and you do not struggle with monotony.
All good sandwich makers come with a non-stick coating, making it easy to clean as there are no sticky food elements. Most of them are dishwasher friendly or come with removable parts that you can clean in a dishwasher. Some are even simpler to clean, requiring wiping with a damp cloth only.
Sandwich makers promote healthy eating:
- You can add sufficient vegetable and protein options to help you meet your daily dietary requirements through your filling.
- Their design means you use little to no oil when making the snacks which prevents too much fat in your body.
- They make cooking home snacks preferable to junk food from fast food outlets.
Moder sandwich makers are multifunctional. You can cook several snacks in them, not just sandwiches. You can make other foods, including waffles and omelets, among others. Finally, they serve both heating and grilling purposes.
Compact and Portable
Most units are compact, making storage easy, and they do not take much space on the counter when they are in use. Their size also makes them light and easy to carry for picnics and camping.
Fast Cook Up Times
Whether it is breakfast or just a snack for the day, time is of the essence. Fast cook times are a defining characteristic of sandwich makers, making them convenient for use anytime.
Easy to Use
There is no learning curve with sandwich makers, unlike most other kitchen gadgets. You only need a minor assembly of parts, and they are ready to use. There is no much involvement from your end.
What to See When You Picking a Sandwich Maker for Your Kitchen
There are several key factors to keep in mind when you are choosing a sandwich maker. These include;
- Size of the unit: Sandwich makers come in different sizes, including for one-person use and family use. It also depends on the amount of filling you want to use and the storage space available in your home.
- Ease of cleaning: Sandwich makers with non-stick coating only require a damp cloth to wipe them. Others are dishwasher safe, while some low-end ones will require handwashing. Pick a unit that meets your time needs.
- Consistency: Look for a sandwich that provides even pressing, uniform browning, and even temperature across all the food.
- Storability: A good unit should allow you to store it safely and without taking much space.
- Versatility: The proper sandwich should be able to cook more than just toasts. Suitable units can cook vegetables, grill meat, and make waffles, among others.
Basic Sandwich Maker Instructions
It is essential to follow the user manual that comes with your unit. If it is not there, then follow the following basic guidelines for use.
- Connect the sandwich maker to a power source and keep the lid closed as it heats up. Most units come with a light indicator or an alternative mechanism to let you know when it is ready.
- Prepare your sandwich in your preferred manner.
- Open sandwich maker. If you did not spread butter on the outer surfaces of the slices, you could spray a fine mist of oil on both lower and upper plates.
- Put the sandwich gently on the bottom plate, taking care not to touch any plate surface.
- Close the lid, including the front clamp, if it comes with one.
- Give it 3 to 5 minutes or until the indicator light comes up, and then open the toaster.
- Pick the sandwich pieces with a silicon or wooden spatula.
- Disconnect the sandwich maker and leave it open to cool. Once it is completely cool, wipe the plates or use a dishwasher.
There are many options in the market for sandwich makers, and this article gives you the information you need to find the right one. It starts with you defining what you want from your sandwich maker, given your circumstances. You then should consider the various quality of the sandwich maker, including its versatility, durability, cooking time, and the quality of the results. You also should look at convenience aspects such as ease of cleaning and storage.
Once you find the right sandwich maker, you need to follow instructions for use and care. Simple steps like proper cleaning, closing the lid when storing the maker will go a long way in extending the unit’s life.